Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Gentle Teachers

So being a first timer at this whole parent thing I am learning new things every day. Right now I am trying to figure out discipline for a 9 month old. For the longest time discipline wasn't really necessary because Cady was stationary. Now, however, my little girl is on the move and checking everything out!


I slapped her little hand one time and she laughed at me, so I decided it was a little too early for that to register, so saying, "No!" seemed to be the way to go. First, make sure she understands that. Then, move on from there.

For the last several weeks, we have been working on understanding the word "No". At first, I would say it and Cady would totally ignore me, so I would go over and stop her from whatever she was doing (i.e. chewing on the computer cord) and repeat saying it. Then for a while she would go toward something she wasn't supposed to touch, and I would say, "Cady, no!" and she would look at me and keep crawling toward it. Finally yesterday we had a break-through. Cadence was headed toward the cord for the computer and I told her no, she stopped and sat down and looked at me. I was SOOO happy! She's got it! Then, she smiled at me, took off grabbing the cord and sticking the end of it in her mouth. Poop! Well, I guess we're getting it...

It just makes me so glad that God loves us so much, and is such a gentle teacher. Every time Cadence would go for that cord I would have flashbacks of times in my Christian walk when God told me no and I didn't listen. At first because my ears weren't sensitive to His voice, and as time went on and I learned to hear His voice, I was just disobedient sometimes. I'm so glad that He's never given up on me!

2 comments:

  1. Yay for your blog!! Looking forward to keeping up with you guys! (And no worries, I won't go digging through your trash, break into your house, or do any of the other "stalkerish" things Jake warned you about! lol!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree!! So glad you have a blog!! It is really fun to see other girls' kids and to know your kid isn't the only one in the whole world that is going through some stage!!! :)

    Great post!! Discipline is a commandment, and is very trying!! And Kylee is only 1!!! :) I remember we had to start with small things to like digging through the trash.

    ReplyDelete